image of a family of 4Parents who have lost their jobs, or become incapacitated or disabled, and who have minor children, may receive temporary assistance for food, shelter and basic living needs. Parents will receive help finding work, child care, training and overcoming barriers to employment unless they have an allowable reason not to participate. The services are offered through:
  • The CalWORKs program provides temporary financial assistance and employment focused services to families with minor children who have income and property below State maximum limits for their family size. Most able-bodied aided parents are also required to participate in the CalWORKs GAIN employment services program.
  • The GAIN program provides employment-related services to CalWORKs participants to help them find employment, stay employed, and move on to higher paying jobs, which will ultimately lead to self-sufficiency and independence. CalWORKs participants receive GAIN services in the GAIN Regional offices. Participation in GAIN is mandatory for all CalWORKs participants unless exempt.
Child Care Assistance Guide
Food and Nutrition
Report Welfare Fraud
Pushpin on a map image

Find the LA County services and facilities that serve your area...

Enter Address, City, or Zip Code

Save Time. Go On-Line!
Your Benefits Now Logo
Have questions about your case
or need to apply?
Get more information about
Your Benefits Now!
Los Angeles County Seal: Enriching lives through effective and caring services