• Who May Be Eligible for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) in Los Angeles County?
  • To qualify for IHSS you must:
    • Be 65 years old or older, blind, and/or a disabled as defined by Social Security Administration standards.
    • Be a citizen of the United States or a qualified alien.
    • Be a Resident of Los Angeles County.
    • Live in your own home. Your own home is any place you choose to live (hospitals, nursing homes, and licensed community care facilities are not considered "own home").
    • Either:
      • Receive or be eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Payments (SSI/SSP), OR
      • Meet all SSI/SSP eligibility criteria except for income or citizenship/immigration status.
  • What are other Eligibility Criteria to Qualify for IHSS?
    • Income: If your income is above the SSI/SSP limits, you may be required to pay for a portion of your IHSS benefits. This is called a "Share of Cost".
    • Personal property may not exceed $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
    • Property that is not counted in determining your eligibility includes the home you own and live in, one automobile needed for transportation to medical appointments or work, and all life insurance policies if the combined face value is not more than $1,500.
    • Property that is counted includes cash on hand, checking and savings accounts, the value of stocks, bonds, trust deeds, real property other than the home you own and live in, additional automobiles and recreational vehicles, and promissory notes and loans.
    • Certification - You must obtain must obtain a health care certification from a licensed health care professional indicating that you are unable to independently perform some activity of daily living and without IHSS, would be at risk for placement in out-of-home care.
  • How does the Program Work?
  • Applications for IHSS can be made by calling:
    1 (888) 944-IHSS [4477] or
    1 (213) 744-IHSS [4477]

    If you currently receive SSI/SSP payments from the Social Security Administration, a county Social Worker will interview you at your home to determine your eligibility and need for IHSS.

    If you do not currently receive SSI/SSP, you must first be determined eligible to Medi-Cal under Medi-Cal rules and regulations. Your application will automatically go to a Medi-Cal Eligibility Worker for this determination. Once you are determined eligible to Medi-Cal, a Social Worker will visit your home to determine your eligibility and need for IHSS.

    Based on your ability to safely perform certain tasks for yourself, the Social Worker will assess the types of IHSS services you need and authorize an amount of time for each one. The assessment of need includes information given by you and, if appropriate, by your family, friends, physician or other health care practitioner.

    You will be notified if IHSS has been approved or denied. If denied, you will be notified of the reason for denial. If approved, you will be notified of the services and how many hours per month have been authorized for you.

    If approved for IHSS, you must hire someone (your IHSS provider) to perform the authorized services. You, the IHSS consumer, are considered your provider's employer. It is your responsibility to hire, train, supervise, and if necessary, fire this individual.

  • What If I Don't Have A Care Provider and Need One?
  • If you need assistance locating a provider call the Personal Assistance Services Council (PASC). The PASC is the Public Authority for Los Angels County. They operate a Registry to provide referrals for IHSS consumers and providers. You may contact PASC at (877) 565-4477 for more information.

    IHSS consumers who need assistance in locating a provider can also contact the Service Employees International Union, United Long Term Care Worker (ULTCW) Homecare Exchange Registry. The ULTCW union operates a Registry for IHSS consumers and providers. You may contact the Homecare Exchange Registry by calling 1-866-544-5742.

  • How Do I Enroll My Provider?
  • To add or change a provider, please call your Provider Clerk.

    Your provider must complete or have completed all the following enrollment requirements before he/she can be paid as an IHSS provider:

    • After an on-site, in-person provider orientation to obtain information about IHSS rules and requirements for being a provider;
    • Complete and sign the IHSS Provider Enrollment Form (SOC 426). The form must be submitted to the county in person. Original documentation verifying the provider's identity (e.g. current/unexpired government issued photo identification and social security card) must be provided to the county for photocopying.
    • Complete and sign the Provider Enrollment Agreement, SOC 846. The SOC 846 states that the provider understands and agrees to the rules of the IHSS program and the responsibilities of being an IHSS provider; and
    • Submit fingerprints and pass a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI) from the Department of Justice. The provider is responsible for paying for this service.
    Note: Providers cannot be enrolled and receive payment as IHSS providers until ALL of the above requirements have been completed, including passing a CBI.
  • How Do I File For A Fair Hearing?
  • Refer to the back of your Notice of Action for instructions on how to request a Fair Hearing. If you misplaced your notice of action, contact your Social Worker and ask him/her to provide you with a copy of the notice of action.
  • What if I have questions about my IHSS hours?
  • If you have any questions about your IHSS hours, please contact your IHSS Social Worker.
  • What if my health condition changes and I need more hours?
  • If your health condition has changed and you believe you need more assistance, please contact your IHSS Social Worker.
  • What Is Share of Cost (SOC)?
  • IHSS consumers who get IHSS services also have Medi-Cal. You, as an IHSS consumer, may have to pay a certain dollar amount each month toward your medical expenses. This dollar amount is called a Share of Cost (SOC). A SOC is similar to a private insurance plan's/recipient out-of-pocket deductible. Twice a month, both you and the provider who works for you will receive an "Explanation of IHSS SOC" letter that will tell you how much money to pay the provider. The SOC is part of provider's salary. You, as the IHSS consumer, must pay the SOC, if any, to the provider monthly. The SOC may change from month to month.
    Pushpin on a map image

    Find the LA County services and facilities that serve your area...

    Enter Address, City, or Zip Code

    • IHSS Application, Toll Free:
      1-888-944-IHSS (4477) or
    • L.A. County Toll Free Info. Line: 211
    • Adult Protective Services (APS):
    • IHSS Ombudsman:
      1-888-678-IHSS (4477)
    • Provider Registry: Personal Assistance Service Council (PASC):
    • PASC CBI Clearance Inquiry:
    • SEIU - United Long Term Care Workers Union
    Los Angeles County Seal: Enriching lives through effective and caring services