GROW Questions and Answers

Check this page if you have any questions regarding the GROW program. We will post all questions and their responses here. If your question is not already answered on this page, discuss it with your GSS/Deputy District Director. Deputy District Directors (or District Director) can click on "Submit Your Questions" and send us your inquiry.

Questions will be forwarded to GROW Program Staff and the answers will appear in the appropriate sections listed below.

Orientation/Job Skills Assessment
  • Can a participant be given the same Case Manager when they re-apply for GR?
  • The GROW computer system assigns Case Managers based on caseload.  However, the Supervisor can reassign a case to another Case Manager when it is operationally feasible and in the best interests of the participant.
Supportive Services
  • What is the time limit for MSARP participation?
  • MSARP participation is for up to 9 months (6 months plus a 3 month extension, if needed), consecutively.

  • What are the procedures when a GROW participant has self-enrolled in substance abuse treatment facility not approved by the County, and not on the County's inventory?
  • Case management staff should contact their district's MSARP liaison for all matters concerning possible additions to the inventory.

  • What does the case manager do when the MH treatment provider assigns the participant less than 20 hours of services (most of the time it is between 5 and 10 hours), and the provider insists the participant cannot handle a concurrent assignment to another GROW activity to make up the difference? Does the case manager go by the GROW regulations or follow what the MH treatment provider recommends?
  • The case manager continues to work with the client to ensure that the participant completes his/her 20 hours of service.  Participants are not automatically exempted (if less than 20 hours) because the Mental Health treatment provider states that the participant cannot participate in other GROW activities. DMH will be informed that these individuals should be considered for NSA status if they cannot participate in GROW activities 20 hours per week.

  • Current procedures have MSARP participants in residential treatment exempt from attending Orientation/Job Skills Assessment, and case management staff updating the computer as if the participant showed, to avoid the participant going into noncompliance.  When the participant completes MSARP and is brought in to GROW, do they attend Orientation at that time?  The participant will not be on the list as scheduled to attend Orientation.
  • Case managers should manually schedule these participants for Orientation.  Case managers must also control for compliance since the computer will not initiate noncompliance if the participant does not show.

Work-Related Expenses
  • When the participant is returned to the case manager on day one of JSPC because he/she is not dressed appropriately, and suitable clothing was not found in the boutique, how does the case manager issue work-related expenses that day?
  • The case manager updates GROW, completes an ABP 296 to the EW and requests an on-line issuance via LA FAIR.

  • What is the process when a participant does not provide a receipt for money issued for work-related expenses? Is there an overpayment?  Does the case manager put the participant into noncompliance?
  • Participants are required to provide receipts for all work-related expenses except transportation within 30 days of issuance.  A CMA appointment should be scheduled for the participant to provide verification.  The GCM will then control for compliance and if the appointment is not kept, the GCM is to initiate the noncompliance action.  The GROW clothing allowance is issued to ensure the participant is appropriately dressed for job interviews. Should the participant fail to use the funds for the intended purpose, he/she still must comply with GROW activity.  The participant should be advised that failure to appropriately dress for a job interview will result in noncompliance action.   A GROW overpayment collection process is in development.

  • Does GROW provide transportation funds for employed participants until they receive their first check?
  • An allowance for transportation to and from work is allowable pending receipt of a first paycheck. GROW policy will be updated to reflect this.

  • When and how is the PA 19 used?
  • The PA 19 (Memorandum to District Cashier) is used to issue cash or tokens/tickets to the applicant/participant in the district office.

  • What is the policy when a GROW participant says he/she lost or was robbed of their bus pass or money for transportation/work related expenses?
    Issuances for transportation or otherwork related expenses cannot be replaced once the participant has cashed the check.

  • If a participant must take two different transit systems to attend their activity, can the case manager authorize the   amount to cover two bus passes, or cash only, to cover the other bus lines?
    Yes. The case manager can authorize the amount to cover two bus passes. Refer to the Intranet case management instructions (Work-related Expenses) on this issue.

  • Can the benefit pick-up date be changed to the 1st of the month for participants in long-term activities who cannot wait for their pick-up date to get their bus pass money?
    No. Bus tokens must be issued to cover the period prior to the participant's benefits pick-up date.
Work Experience
  • What happens when a participant agrees to Work Experience (WEX) and signs the Employment Plan documenting this agreement, yet when the participant is to sign the Activity Assignment they decide they do not want WEX?
    WEX does not become mandatory until the participant signs the Activity Assignment with the case manager. Therefore, in this instance the participant can be assigned to another activity within their primary employment goal or the secondary employment goal or the employment plan can be amended by the vocational assessor, if needed.
Job Skills Preparation
  • What is the time limit for MSARP participation?
    As indicated in GROW Case Manager Guideines, a participant enrolled in another activity for less than 20 hours per week is to be concurrently enrolled in JSPC for the remaining number of hours needed to meet the GROW participation requirement. The facilitator shall allow the individual to participate in as much of the classroom or job search activity as possible. Any confusion on the part of individual facilitators as to this policy should be referred to the GROW Deputy District Director for resolution.
  • How many times can a participant be given a code "M" exemption?
    There is no definite number of times a participant can be given a code M exemption. The case manager should assess each instance to determine if a referral for a physical or mental health examination/evaluation is required. Otherwise, the participant must comply with the GROW activity.

  • What is the current procedure for handling GROW cases already decremented from the case manager's file?
    The GROW case should be forwarded to the Eligibility Worker.

  • In the GROW computer system, what does the "P", "T", "M" and "I", located next to the participants name, stand for?
    Only the "P" is shown in the participant component list. All others are located on the case manager's calendar.
  • P Progress Review
    T Appointment transfer by GROW Supervisor to/from another GCM
    M ICM appointment
    I Initial appointment manually made by case managers
    There are also others:
    R Rescheduled appointment
    O Orientation appointment
    B Blocked appointment
    S Rescheduled Job Skills Assessment appointment

  • Will GROW ever have the capability to assist volunteers (Unemployables)?
    The ability to expand the program to include volunteers is dependant on available space and/or funding.

  • Why can't GROW Case Managers refer GROW participants to WATTS Health Foundation for medical evaluations?
    Since the outcome of the Watts medical evaluation affects the participant's employability status, it is imperative that eligibility staff control all aspects of the process.

  • Is the work component opened for everyone who obtained employment 20 hours or more per week, or for only those you think may still be receiving GR?
    This component must be assigned for anyone entering employment, regardless of number of hours worked.
Pushpin on a map image

Find the LA County services and facilities that serve your area...

Enter Address, City, or Zip Code

Los Angeles County Seal: Enriching lives through effective and caring services